Monday, May 18, 2009

SEO Writing Skills for the Rest of Us

Resource: http://blueduckcopy.com/2009/03/26/seo-writing-skills-for-the-rest-of-us/

Many SEO writers will tout their writing skills as unparalleled, exceptional, well worth every penny. I’m not one of them. In fact, my writing skills are not exceptional at all, I just paid attention in English class, read a lot of books, and have the gift of gab from God above. Fortunately, I can translate that gift into written communication and am blessed with some pretty good SEO professionals as associates who have let me pick their collective brains. (Truth be told, my brain picking skills are much better than my writing skills. :D ) Now, that’s not to say I don’t earn my paychecks. I work hard for my clients, and the end result is almost always exactly what they asked for.

With that in mind, I have an innovative thought for you: you can be your own SEO writer. Yep, you don’t need to hire me unless you are too strapped for time to learn the basics and write your own content. In fact, most of my clients come to me after they have been writing their own content for some time. Perhaps they have gotten too busy, sometimes they admit to exhausting their knowledge on a subject, often they are desperate for better results. That’s what I’m here for. But, if you have your own website, are strapped for cash, and have some free time on your hands, welcome to the world of SEO writing!

Paying it Forward

Rather than have you blunder your way around the web for the next six months, I thought I’d give you a hand up and share a few SEO tips to help you get started in SEO writing. Why would I do such a thing and endanger my future business profits by teaching you my business? Because someone did it for me, and I like to pay back my debts. God has blessed Blue Duck, and I believe He will continue to do so. But if He decides it’s time to close the doors and pass the business on to some young talented SEO writer, then so be it. So welcome to the first ever Blue Duck Copy SEO Writing Tips for the Rest of Us.




SEO Writing Tips for All

I had a hard time deciding where to start in all this. Do I start from the very beginning and define SEO and the terminology? Do I dig right in and give you the steaming hot latest SEO news from the experts? I decided to take the middle ground and go for something you can immediately put to use, keywords.

What This Tip Is Not

This post is not about how to choose the right keywords, or what keywords are, or how they should be used on a website. This is not a discussion about keyword density or siloing, or any other keyword building techniques. Those topics may appear in the future, just not here and now.

The Prerequisites

Before you put this tip to use, you’ll need to understand what a keyword is and how it is used to help people find your website. You’ll also need to have a list of the most profitable and relevant keywords for your website. The process of choosing the right keywords is often a hotly debated topic. If you don’t have a primary keyword phrase for your website, get one through whatever process you think is logical and acceptable.

You can find scores of information about keyword selection. I recommend visiting a few websites like SEO Book, Bruce Clay, SEOmoz, and Court’s Internet Marketing School. (And in case you noticed and are wondering why I’m suggesting marketing websites for SEO research, search engine optimization and search engine marketing are like peanut butter and jelly; you can eat them separately, but they go better together.)



No comments:

Post a Comment